17 November, 2011

Long-Term Product Review: Browning Hell's Canyon Jacket


 I have a couple of years in with my Browning Hell's Canyon jacket and felt it was time for a follow-up review. This was sparked by its performance on a recent layout duck hunt. The day was clammy and overcast. While not super-cold, laying around in a small boat in the mouth of the Detroit River for a few hours can get pretty chilly. Add to that intermittent periods of rain, and you have a recipe for a big chill. But I stayed dry and toasty through it all. Excellent performance - certainly more than I could ask for a jacket that makes few claims as a shell (I don't own a cammo waterproof shell -- that's on the shopping list).

Initially I was concerned about the unfinished neoprene cuffs wearing or getting pulled all the time. That's been no issue. And, it's nice to be able to cinch them down water- and wind-tight. As with the rest of the coat, wears like iron. I've fished, hunted rabbits, pheasant, and ducks in this jacket in almost every condition and this jacket looks like the day I bought it.

Zippers are where you can tell a superior outdoor item. And Browning's on this product are top notch. Works smoothly and neoprene backing gasket keeps out wind and driven rain. Upper chest pockets are nice for frequently accessed small gear.

Highly recommended. If you're looking for a good all-around camo windproof fleece, you can't go wrong here. I paid under a hundred dollars for mine - a bargain for a jacket this good.

-Sean-

No comments: