09 December, 2011

To Conserve and Protect

An article in this month's issue of Eastern Fly Fishing on the Driftless Area (the intersection of MN, WI, IA, and IL) and the effects of Federal agricultural policy set me to thinking. Like many, I'm skeptical of lobbyists. But this was a good reminder of their value in steering government policy.

Groups like Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, and Trout Unlimited all expend considerable lobbying effort to habitat protection for all of our outdoor passions. And, as we've seen many times over - no habitat means no fish, ducks, pheasants, etc. Whether its agricultural subsidies, dam removal, or natural gas fracking, these groups are working within the government to ensure and influence public policy with the interests of their members in mind. In many ways I feel like they're doing a better job of representing their constituents than the elected officials!

I've even made my peace with the NRA. For a long time, I considered them to be the representatives of the lunatic fringe of gun nuts. What I've come to realize, especially with the current administration in Washington, gun owners need a voice. And the NRA is that voice. While I may not agree with some of the things they advocate, basic protection of the Second Ammendment. I've been learning a bit more about the history of gun owner's rights in Canada and the UK. You're only a stone's throw from having to keep your guns in a locker at the police station, check them in and out, and account for every round of ammunition. I'm fairly certain this isn't what the Founding Fathers wanted for our country.

So, support the groups that represent you at the State and Federal level. If you're counting on your elected representatives to do that, you'll likely be seriously disappointed.

-Sean-

No comments: