10 February, 2012

Addictive Behaviors

Read a magazine article last night about a woman's 20-year battle with her addiction to prescription painkillers. Horrific story, but eventually she gets help and is, thus far, clean and sober.

This is a reminder of how fortunate I am. I clearly have some addictive traits - a quick wander into my basement Man Land will clarify that. Ran into a good deal on an Orvis Mirage reel - BANG, now I own three. And like any good addict, I can rationalize all three. First was for my Scott ARC 1287-3 spey rod which deserved a nice reel. Then I decided that since my Scott A3 switch rod is my main Winter stick, the Mirage's sealed drive would be a benefit over the previous Ross Momentum. Finally, I've been seeking some nice reel bling for my 6-wt. all-rounder, so why not a Mirage 3? Addict. Can't stop myself.

And, do I just own one pair of skis like a rational Midwesterner who skis a half-dozen days in-state and perhaps 3-5 out West? Oh, no -- I have my all around skis and a nice pair of Line Prophet 100's.

My learning is similarly addictive. Once I start down a path I want to try all the permutations and see how many I can master. Like to fly fish for steelhead? Better figure out indicator fishing, swinging, high-sticking, and more. Perfect. Right up my alley.

While I've certainly been through periods where I may have been drinking more and more often than I should have, that's about the extent of my harmful addiction. Owning a dozen fly rods is far better than being whacked out on Vicodin. I am indeed fortunate.

-Sean-

No comments: