03 February, 2012

Orvis Kudos

Regular readers will know I usually don't have a ton positive to say about Orvis. While they are the 900# gorilla of fly fishing, I've found many of their products to be disappointing.

I think this started with my Silver XT waders. In addition to a truly lousy fit, the two layers at the knees did a nice "Michelin Man" fill up. Not exactly functional, and often dangerous.

For me, they've looked like a company whose products were coasting. They lacked current features, and just seemed to be outpaced by others in the market.

But something's going on out there in Vermont...

If you haven't seen the newish line of Mirage reels, give them a look. Way cool styling. Completely sealed, bulletproof drag. And, nice light weight. I've ended up with three of them - in sizes 3 (main trout rod), 5 (steelhead switch rod), and 6 (spey rod). They're pricey as Orvis reels have traditionally gone, but when you start comparing to Nautilus, Abel, and other similar brands, they start to look very competitive. Clearly someone in development got the message. I hear the Hydros are pretty good, too.

They've also upgraded the rod line. Sure, the Helios is a rock start. But, let's be real -- they start at $800. Ouch. But last year they brought the Helios profile to the affordable Access line. Heard a ton of good about those, too. Unfortunately, I'm Scott loyal. I'm not switching.

Good work, Orvis -- keep at it!

-Sean- 

No comments: