12 June, 2012

Product Review - Simms Streamtread Sandal

Last Summer I discovered the joys of wet wading. On a hot day, it's just perfect - cool and refreshing! This is especially true of the local warmwater rivers. A good trout stream with proper water temps migh be a little chilly on all but the hottest days. And, it's just that much less gear to deal with.

At first I just wore my Simms Rivershed boots with neoprene socks. That was OK, but they really didn't fit that well and I found that, especially in sandy rivers, I ended up with lead foot due to all the accumulated sand and debris in my boots. Then I tried my Teva sandals. Comfortable enough, but no protection from rocks, tree limbs, etc. that you tend to bump into while wading.

Then I found the new Simm Streamtread Sandal. Think of these as the offspring of a Keen sandal and a Simms wading boot! The uppers offer great protection and easy fine-tuning of the fit. And the lowers are basically a Simms Streamtread sole that nearly identical to a wading boot. The full toe box provides protection, while the open sides enable easy draining and pebbles, sand and other debris easily clear. Thus far I've had a couple of opportunities to wear for boat-based float trips and for walk-in fishing on the Huron river. This sandal is perfect for both boat-based and walk-in uses. Plenty of support, grippy rubber sole (even compatible with studs!), and comfortable all day long.

-Sean-

No comments: