26 June, 2012

Simple Pleasures

Got in some fishing at my new local fun spot. An extremely short distance from my home, this is the perfect "Tuesday Evening" spot. Quick drive, string up the rod and go!

After a few outings, I've found some nice structure. And with structure, comes -- SMALLMOUTH! At one especially prolific spot, I had just switched over to a small topwater popper, I got nailed on the first cast. Now that's MONEY! Within an hour I had a half dozen more fish, including a couple of nice mid-teen's bruisers.

The next day I returned, this time without my 7-weight but rather with my 4-weight. None of the fish I found were huge, so I figured a lighter rod makes a 10-incher feel like a tuna! What a blast! Cast. Twitch. Twitch. BAM! Repeat. Though I did manage one nice teener, and a sunfish the size of a softball.

Also in Day Two I went superlight. I've already been wet wading in some river shorts and Simms Streamtread sandals. Now I stuck a fly box and some 10# tipper in my pocket, grabbed some nippers, and clipped a hemo to my shirt.

A rabid fly fishing friend told me he's got a similar spot. One where he can go light, tuck two beers in his hip pack and kill a couple of hours on a weeknight.

An added bonus? For me, the nearest rivers with any real trout population are 2-3 hours away. With $4/gallon gas, this makes popping some local smallies look pretty fun. Save some gas, fish for bass!

-Sean-

No comments: