30 October, 2012

Product Review - Arc'teryx Hardfleece

First, a confession. I've become hopelessly addicted to high-end outdoor clothing. Yeah, Columbia gear is pretty good, and The North Face even a bit better. What I'm talking about are brands like Patagonia, Arc'teryx, and Simms. I find that this is a category where you really do get what you pay for - this top-notch gear is usually warmer, drier, and/or better fitting. I think it started with my Simms G4 Pro jacket, a birthday gift a few years back. I've worn this jacket in day long downpours, 40+ mph wind days, and freezing cold and it never fails me. And, it delivers incredible functionality with pockets in the right places and all the adjustability one could ever ask for. This was followed by a Simms Windstopper Hoody - my go-to in a broad range of fairly shitty conditions. Then last year I added a Patagonia Retro X jacket. Warm, perfect fit, and windproof beyond expectations. When you like to play outdoors, a small investment in the best clothing really pays off.

I've always liked the Canadian brand Arc'teryx. Great styling, bulletproof construction, and some really innovative features (the Sidewinder zipper that keeps the nasty frozen zipper off your chin is sweeet!). But, the prices always put me off. This stuff is pricey. As in make-Patagonia-look-cheap expensive. This Summer I found myself in the Arc'teryx store while in Montreal on business. All the cold weather gear was 50% off and they had some cool items. Fueled by a few-too-many tasty Canadian beers (Molson Ex, anyone?) I decided I definitely needed an Arc'teryx hardshell fleece.

In brief, this thing ROCKS! It's hard to truly describe -- it's kind of like a soft shell meets a fleece. But it's not really either. It's a bit more bulky than my Simms Windstopper Hoody, but not much. Yet, it's considerably warmer. When you slip it on it's clear this was designed by Canadians who spend a lot of time outside. Roomy where it needs to be, fitting where it doesn't. One of the best tests of a jacket is the hood. Does it fit close (but not TOO close) to your head so it follows as you look side-to-side? Or is it simply a bulk tent that stay put while your melon swivels inside like a puppet show? The Arc'teryx is clearly the former (as an aside -- so are both of the previously mentioned Simms pieces).

Our last day in Montana the temps dropped 40 degrees overnight, the wind came up, and a little blowing snow was in the forecast. As one of my travel companions had forgotten his jacket, I lent him my Simms hoody. This put me on a trial run with the Arc'teryx. Throughout the day we enjoyed temps in the 30's, with wind over 20mph, and intermittent snow squalls. Me? Nice and toasty, thank you very much! And the softshell fit kept it from interfering with my casting stroke.

Last night, dealing with the distant effects of Frankenstorm Sandy we had chilly temps and high winds (a top gust of 78mph was recorded here). My black lab mix pooch fears no weather, so come 10pm she wants her customary walk. Hello Arc'teryx! Warm and happy we strolled to her content.

I only have two complaints. First, the outer jacket is a sage green. But the inner fleece is a bright kelly green. Strange. But somehow it sorta' works. And second, I don't actually know what model it is (as I mentioned, alcohol consumption may have been a factor in the purchase). As such, I can't tell you what to go buy. But if you're considering such a garment, I'd take a serious look at Arc'teryx.

-Sean-


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI your jacket is the Hyllus Hoody. I have the Hyllus Jacket myself.