29 November, 2012

Remington Versa Max Follow-Up

After a day chasing ducks (and a lot of rounds fired), I feel compelled to write a little follow-up on this fine firearm.

Things I really like:
  • The "heft" of the gun. Sure, I would NOT carry this one for a day in the field, but for waterfowling a bit more bulk helps the mount, the swing, and in absorbing recoil.
  • The recoil, or lack thereof. Even 3" Remington Hypersonic ammo had very little recoil. 
  • Being able to shoot high-speed ammo like Hypersonic. I found that this round is really ideal for me on waterfowl. I shot several flavors of ammo on this hunt and the Hypersonic was far and away the most effective. I'm told that Beretta advises against it as it can damage the receiver. The Versa Max was built for this type of abuse.
  • I love that this thing digest whatever ammo you throw at it. Put in a 2-3/4" a 3" and a 3-1/2" and it just  blows right through.
  • I've never had a misfeed or misfire. Ever. Cheap ammo, expensive ammo -- doesn't seem to matter.
  • The TruGlo fiber optic bead is pretty sweet. Enables me to keep my eyes on the target, but easily track where the barrel is (without looking at the barrel).
  •  This gun fits me. I have relatively long arms, but it shoulders perfectly every time. Somehow it just seems to find my shoulder pocket.
  • The safety falls naturally to-hand.  It's so easy simply to disengage during the mount. I really never had to think about it. And I haven't had a single "safety whiff" yet. 
  • It's sleek and good-looking without the spacegun looks of some of the new guns out there on the market.
  • It shoots where I point it. When I use good technique, the results are very solid.
Issues are very few:
  • Given that it's mostly a waterfowl gun, I probably should have bought it in camo. My bad.
  • The "float" of the forearm and to a lesser extent the barrel are a bit off-putting. I'm sure it's all part of the engineering, but it does feel weird.
  • It's just a touch long overall, which made finding a floating case a bit challenging.
All-in-all I would give this fine shotgun very solid marks. At a very competitive price point, it really delivers.

-Sean-

No comments: