14 January, 2013

Product Review: Simms Rogue Fleece Hoody

I received a Simms Rogue Fleece Hoody as a Christmas gift and have been amazed by how much I like this simple piece of gear. This garment seemed to be more sportswear than a technical outerwear solution - or so I thought.

The poly-based fleece breathes and readily wicks moisture. What's surprising though is the softshell exterior (especially at this price point). This thing is surprisingly good at blocking both wind AND water (thanks to the DWR exterior). Sure, it's not up to the level of my Windstopper Soft Shell Hoody or my Arc'teryx hardshell fleece - but it 1/3 of these garments! I wore it out yesterday in light winds and a daylong pissing down rain. I stayed very dry and cozy despite some genuinely lousy conditions.

As you'd expect from Simms, the ergonomics are excellent. For my build, a fairly generous cut across the shoulders is key. I've always found Simms gear to excel in that area and this piece is no exception. Similarly, Simms knows hoods. Once you start spending some time outside in challenging weather you really start to appreciate the one-more-layer-damn-I'm-cold value of putting up a hood. And, you see that an awful lot of garments have truly lousy hoods. The handwarmer pockets are right where your hands want them to be. I go back and forth on whether I wish they were zippered or not. Zippers would be nice for transport, but having them open means easy access for frosty digits.

Looking for a great bargain on an outstanding piece of gear? Put the Simms Rogue Fleece Hoody on your list!

-Sean-

No comments: