21 March, 2013

Go To Gear - Part Deux

Simms Waderwick Base Layer Bottoms

If I'm wearing waders in anything but the hottest conditions, these are under them. In Winter they're a great first layer that transports perspiration away and provides a nice level of warmth when worn under fleece pants of some sort. In the Summer they keep things from getting clammy (I've always found the concept of a "breathable" wader a bit of an oxymoron). Mine are the older model with the stirrups - which are a nice feature. But I'm sure the new ones without are just fine. They weren't cheap (though cheaper than Patagonia), but they're worth every penny when you want to be comfortable.

FiveTen Impact Low Shoe
Yeah, yeah, I know -- clipless pedals are where it's at. And for road biking I agree 110%. But on the mountain bike there is just no friggin' way. Tree roots. Rocks. Run-off channels. There are literally hundreds of opportunities to cease forward motion and have an intimate encounter with physics. I've fallen clipped in on the road bike. And it SUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSS!. No way, Jose on the mountain bike. But an aggressively studded Sun Ringle flat pedal and a pair of these sticks like glue! In fact it's often a bit difficult if I try to adjust my stance. The Impacts also provide a sturdy sole and upper provide tons of protection. Five stars for these bad boys - although they do look a bit like orthopedic shoes...

Old Town Penobscot Canoe
I'm on my third season with this one and I love it more all the time. At 58 pounds, I can easily car-top it solo. And that light weight makes it a true pleasure to paddle. It tracks super straight, even when paddled solo from the stern -- a light J-stroke and it's straight as an arrow. Nimble, comfortable and basically perfect. I picked mine up gently used on craigslist. Always tons of canoes out there -- but hunt for one of these.

A Good Knit Hat
As I've become increasingly follically challenged (that is, balding...) I've found that my head gets cold - FAST! But I've found a broad range in the simple knit hat. A lot of them suck, for one reason or another. Fleece is worthless -- ZERO wind protection and the windproof ones don't breathe and pretty much wipe out your hearing. A simple knit is the best solution. And one you can pull over a ballcap is a WINNER. I have three favorites just now - an older Simms with an awesome fleece band inside, an Oakley (both of these are synthetic material) as well as an Ibex wool one. The Ibex is awesome, but it's only for the very coldest of weather - this thing is like a toaster for your head. The Simms is by far my favorite. Though it's wearing well, it's a few seasons old. When it finally gives up the ghost, I may have to plan a proper ceremony and a respectful burial. Yeah, I like it that much.

Simms Windstopper Fleece Gloves
I've had a lot of people ask how I keep my hands warm when Winter steelheading. The first answer I usually offer is exposure -- when you're out more, your body adjusts. But on those really cold days that just won't fly. In the past I rocked a pair of fingerless generic fleece gloves (way too slippery and not especially warm), then some fine Cabelas neoprene fingerless models - picked up for 7 bucks on clearance. When the neos finally blew up, I tried on the Simms Windstopper fleece in fingerless. Pretty spendy, but warm hands make all the difference - sold! This season I added a pair of the full-fingered variety. These are the ideal glove. Warm, without being bulky. Great feel. Whether running a centerpin, fishing an indicator, or whatever I can do my thing without fumbling. And, most key - they don't seem to absorb water. Awesome. Just buy both the fingerless and full-fingered variety now.

Good stuff -- all of it! More coming soon!

No comments: