06 May, 2013

A View from the Saddle

Participated in the annual Spring ride put on by Bike Ypsi yesterday. At the urging of my buddy, and frequent riding partner, Josh I decided to do the 30 mile ride. This was by far my longest ride this year. The first ten miles were up-and-down for me mentally and physically, but shortly after that I found my groove and was able to settle in and enjoy the ride and observe my element. So, a few things I found:

  1. An awful lot of drivers are true dumbasses. When you don't have any oncoming traffic, why do you feel the need to pass so close I feel your miror on the hairs of my forearm? And yes, that is exactly as scary as it sounds.  And, yelling at cyclists -- seriously, is that necessary? If we're out there in a herd all lycra'ed up and riding bikes the cost of a house payment, chances are we know the law better than you do. We have to, for self-preservation. Yes, dumbass, it is legal to ride two abreast. Finally, there's the horn issue. I know you're back there. You're driving a multi-ton vehicle with an internal combustion engine. I heard you a LONG way back. So honking the horn to let me know you're there is not only unnecessary, it's dangerous. 
  2. Cycling, like many sports, has etiquette. Invest a few moments to learn it. It's much easier to draft behind a rider than to be out there busting the wind on your own. Don't just sit on my back wheel, offer to pull here and there. Or, just admit that you're gassed and ask if it's OK to hang back there.
  3. Bikes are peaceful places. Miles 10-25 took me through pastoral settings on a sunny day. The wind hadn't started up yet. When you find your groove it's just completely a Zen thing. As though time and space cease to exist (or, at least, to matter). For me a 17-18 mph sustained solo pace is pretty rare. Yesterday I probably rode 10 miles at that pace. Not bad for a fat guy. But it felt like sitting in the easy chair.
  4. Wind sucks. I hate wind 99% of the time. Yeah, a breeze at a baseball game on a blistering day is nice. But it sucks on a bike. It sucks on a Winter steelhead river. And, it sucks on a ski mountain. I'm learning to tolerate it on my bike, but on mile 27, uphill, on a rough piece of road yesterday, it was not a welcome companion.
  5. I love gear. With over 200 participants, there was a lot of cool hardware running around. One group included guys on single-speeds with full custom titanium frames, belt drives, etc. Just completely trick bikes. But the gear I loved best? MINE! From a fairly modest beginning, I now have a solid ride with super-strong custom wheels, a Shimano Ultegra grouppo, a top-notch Fizik saddle, and more. The result felt fast, responsive, and stable. It made my ride far more enjoyable.
  6. Cyclists are cool. Yeah, some of them are cooler than you and happy to remind you of that, but most are welcoming, open-minded, inclusive, and just want to be sure everyone has fun and stays safe. A great group of people to spend time around.
  7. I hate urban riding. We probably had 5ish miles getting into and out of the City. I do not find that relaxing, or comfortable. The roads in SE Michigan suck, drivers are a$$holes (see Point #1), and I feel as though I'm always dodging SOMETHING. Small town, big town -- no thank you.
Thanks the the Bike Ypsi crew for a fun event that got over 200 people united and excited about cycling!

No comments: