03 June, 2013

It's All in Your Head

Another solid ride yesterday afternoon with buddy/coach Josh. With fairly high winds all day, I had low expectations, especially as I hadn't ridden any days that week due to weather and other commitments.

We headed out into the wind (ugh), but I felt solid right away. I certainly wasn't setting any land speed records, but I kept it moving. I was shocked by how quickly ten miles sped by. We were on a new route, with some very pleasant scenery and gently rolling terrain. My pace steadily increased and everything felt just great.

On our return loop, as we rolled into Dexter, I found I was bummed that the ride would soon be over (most likely at around 35 miles). So I asked Josh if he was game to extend - of course I knew the answer, so off we went. Net ride was 43.5 miles. Total average speed ended up at 15.6 mph -- about a 1 mph increase over my usual average. And after the ride, I felt really good. Without the wind, I think 50 would have been very doable.

Upon reflection what drove me was simple: I wanted to get in 40 miles. I knew I could do it, as we'd done it last week. I've head several people tell me that hitting a milestone give you huge confidence. And that adding 10 miles is no big deal. I headed out the previous weekend unsure I'd make 40. While yesterday, I knew I was capable of it as I'd done it a week prior. HUGE difference.

Cycling, like many active outdoor pursuits, is all in your head. Think you can't ski that black diamond run? You're probably right. Think you can't make that 50' cast to hit the right spot for that rising trout? Again, you're probably right. But when you open yourself up to the possibilities, I find it almost brings a Zen-like calm.

By contrast, when you get all up in your head, nothing goes right. For me, this is sporting clays. The more I think about it, the less I hit. But when I can clear my thoughts and be in the moment, muscle memory and instinct take over and things go ever so much better.

So just remember: I believe.

-Sean-

No comments: