11 June, 2013

Product Review - Abel Creek Series Fly Reel

In the past year or so, I've become a huge fan of Abel reels. Their machining and tolerances are so incredibly tight, I'm just amazed. I've always had a soft spot for beautifully machined (and finished) metal. And, in my mind, Abel Automatics is one of the best. Founded by a machinist who thought he could do better, this is the sort of company I have huge respect for.

I've also developed a passion for traditional click-pawl reels. Mechanically simple, readily serviced (if you ever need it), and utterly retro-cool. And, oh that sound. Whether reeling in, or with a fish peeling off line. Well, it's just cool. It started with an Abel Spey, then a Classic, and then a Kingpin Spey.

So when the opportunity to pick up a "not new, but never fished" Abel Creek Series AC2 Large Arbor I snapped it up. Perfect for me Scott A3 854-4. Now I have a great little classic rig for smaller trout. Like the Spey series, the AC2 is beautifully machined and finished. Everything fits together with an almost airtight precision. Mine's finished in the Pewter, which is aesthetically perfect on my A4.

Now the clicker bug has me firmly in its grasp. My Scott A4 906-4 has been sporting a just-fine Orvis Mirage III. Very nice reel. Great drag system. Waterproof, consistent. But it lacks soul. And about this time an Abel Creek Series AC2 Standard Arbor shows up pre-owned, but never fished on a forum. Bang. Mine. With the standard arbor, the line and backing from the Mirage fit perfectly. Had the chance to fish it on the Manistee river last week for trout. Perfect. Exactly what I wanted.

There's a soul to fly fishing. And, for me, that's especially true of reels. There's a beauty in precise machining, super-tight tolerances, and spectacular finishes. I once had a discussion with the founder of Kingpin Reels about outsourcing machining - a common practice on this side of the pond. Stuart quickly (and politely) said, "No way - I won't give up the precision I can only achieve myself." I want that reel on my stick.

The clicker adds a special uniqueness to a reel. And thus far, my Creek Series reels are extra-special in this regard. They have a great tone and cadence that I love. Plus they're infinitely adjustable with a reliable, yet mechanically simple system.

So, if you're all about sealed drags and precise start-up - sorry I wasted your time. But if you want soul in your trout reel, give the Abel Creek series a look. I love mine.

-Sean-

1 comment:

Sean Hickey said...

A follow-up: That sweet Kingpin Spey has found an equally sweet new home. It's now sitting atop a Sage TCX 7126. Yup, the legendary Death Star!