27 September, 2013

Product Review: Yeti Tundra 45 Quart Cooler

"Dude, it's a $400 cooler - seriously?" That's most people's reaction to their first encounter with a Yeti Cooler. I know it was mine. It's especially fun to watch with non-outdoors types.

I have many friends with Yeti's, so I've had quite a bit of firsthand experience. But it really hit home when I borrowed a buddy's last year. Due to an overly large college football tailgate, out of town, I needed another cooler. We get our beef with a group of friends who goes in on a whole beast that's free-range, grain-fed, etc. And, of course, we had to pick it up on game weekend. I packed this Yeti 65 quart full of frozen beef and ice and put it in a car on an 80 degree weekend. When I returned home on Sunday everything was frozen rock f*cking solid. Wow.

So this year I decided one key item needed for the Clackacraft 16LP was a 45-quart Yeti Tundra. This size fits perfectly in the rower's pod, providing comfortable clearance for the oars.

This thing is BOMBER! It truly does hold ice incredibly well. Seals up super-tight. And will stand up to just about any abuse. Plus it's cool to tell your friends it's "Certified Bear-Proof" (seriously -- there's an o-fish-ul looking sticker inside to prove it. While the walls are definitely thicker than a standard cooler I've found the capacity to be more than adequate for pretty much every use. It's now my go-to tailgate cooler, too.

My only complain is that the interior is just a LITTLE too short to stand up a standard sized beer growler. BOO! But my Hatch Premium Beverage Containment Device fits perfectly. A minor complaint really.

Also, the non-skid bottom pads are exactly that. They don't slide. At all. You'll be surprised by how often you move coolers around by sliding them. You don't do this with a Yeti.

My advice is simple. Shut up and buy one. Yes, they are ridonkulously expensive. They are also worth every cent. You won't regret it. I don't - in fact I'm already thinking I need a Yeti Roadie....

-Sean-

No comments: