24 October, 2013

Honor Mother Nature

The view that greeted our morning.
Some great adventures over the past few days with hot chrome fish, my first rowing outing on the Pere Marquette, and two days fishing with the gurus at Hawkins Outfitters.

But, let's talk about bourbon...

Through a couple of good friends, I've been turned on to the virtues of this delicious brown elixir. Or, at least the good stuff. Now I may or may not bring along a growler of microbrew, but my flask is always in the bag. Hit a good fish? Celebratory snort. Whiffed on one you should have boated? Penalty shot. And always offer your guide pull as a thank-you. If you're the guide, well then have a second one. 

Yesterday I had the privilege of spending the day on the Manistee river with good friend and Hawkins head guide, Jon Ray as well as a friend and colleague who introduced me to both steelheading and Jonny.

This year's Fall steelhead run looks to be a good one. Lots of big, hot fish. And we got into them. After one heart-pounding battle, I was collecting my wits when Jon offered, "Seems like you ought to offer the river a drink for that one...". Solid idea. I decided right there that this needed to become a new tradition for me. At some point during a day of good fishing, a touch of whatever's in my flask, growler, or bottle. I've long thanked the fish, and this just seems a natural extension.

Will I look silly pouring perfectly good bourbon in a river? Perhaps. Do I care? Not in the slightest. I do believe I have a new tradition. Traditions are important. I think they connect our everyday lives to happiness.

-Sean-

1 comment:

Kim said...

Well said Sean, I always offer a shot from my flask of Bulleit to honor a good fish and to propitiate the River Gods. Particularly those PM ones - they can be very capricious.