09 January, 2014

Stir Crazy

"Polar Vortex". A term I didn't even previously know existed. And one that pretty much sums up my outdoor time over the past month or so. Seriously, when I walked my dog the other morning, it was -16 degrees. There's no way I'm going out to play in that. Was supposed to duck hunting on Tuesday on Lake St. Clair. High temp for the day was -1 with wind chills pushing -30. Sounds like a great day to sit in a boat on open water. You know it's cold when the guide cancels on you.

Before this, a busy Holiday season and a wild time at work in December find me housebound way too much. Meanwhile I am itching to get on the sticks in my boat, or sliding down a snowy hill on the boards.

On the upside, I did book a return trip to Colorado for late February - early March. This means two things:
  1. Extra motivation to log some gym time. We do NOT need a repeat of last year's slovenly performance. Fortunately, this Summer's cycling gave me a good solid base.
  2. Time to hit the slopes. Last year, my first day on skis was at Beaver Creek, CO. Not a good plan. I need to get in a few ski days prior to heading out West.
Work travel will be taking a bite out of January, so I'm going to really have to push to get outside. But I need it. I crave it. When I can't get outside to play, the tension just builds. The outdoors is where I go to recharge, relax, and reprioritize. I'm not spiritual in an organized sense, but nature is my church. Must. Get. Out. And. Play.

-Sean-

No comments: