15 February, 2014

Cabin Fever

Pardon my French, but I am done with the fucking Polar Vortex. I love Winter. And I've been enjoying all the snow this year tremendously. But endless days of single-digit high temps, nighttime lows in double-digit negatives, and significant wind have me done with Winter. Or at least this kind of Winter.

On Wednesday night, I was hanging out with the usual Schultz Outfitters crew at the popular Bar Flies tying series. Ed McCoy was on the vise showing us a couple of patterns. Discussion turned to the brutal Winter. Now remember, this is a group of hardy Winter Steelheaders. Misery is a badge of honor for us. Trout guys look at us like we've lost our minds (probably some truth to that...). And to a one, we're all going stir crazy looking for a break in this. We're tying flies, watching too much TV, or embracing a new workout program. All to retain some degree of our sanity.

Whenever I head to my basement, my bike taunts me. I'm dying to get out, but that won't happen any time soon. So back into the gym I go. None too happily. I'm geared up to get riding earlier and longer. This year I'll complete a full Century. But not anytime soon. I haven't seen the surface of my driveway in a month.

Headed to Colorado at the end of the month. I would like to request that Winter show some serious retreat by my return...

-Sean-



No comments: