28 March, 2014

A Very Different Beast

Hand-crafted bicycles are like craft-brewed beers. What works for some doesn't work for others. While I may love stouts, you might prefer IPAs. That's cool. Nothing wrong with either. With that precursor out of the way, I thought I'd write a little about the new-ish Shinola bicycles.

For those not familiar with the brand, it's a Detroit-centric new company who makes fabulous bicycles, watches, and leather goods. Much of their product line is assembled in Detroit, with components sourced from other places (primarily in the US, except for watch movements from Switzerland).

I'd read about and seen the bikes in cycling magazines. Cool enough and I liked the Detroit angle, as I live in the area and my family's history is largely in this region. I am a big believer. While the bikes were interesting, the watches really grabbed me. Especially once I saw one in person. Naturally, I ended up with one. Well, actually two...

But when I stopped in the Detroit retail store to see the watches, I encountered the bicycles. In a word: Wow. Like rolling jewelry. Beautiful lines. Gorgeous colors. Impeccable construction. Really, truly impressive. The frames are made in Waterloo, Wisconsin -- I believe in the same factory that made Schwinn's top-end line of Paramount road bikes back in the day. Then the bikes are assembled in Detroit. Yes, they use Japanese components. Get over it. There are no realistic alternatives made in the US. Much like TV manufacturing, the Pacific Rim smoked us here.

To say these bikes leave an impression is a gross understatement. Even non-bike people think they're sweet (before they see the price tag). On my first visit, they even had a Filson limited edition Runwell model. Filson is owned by the same parent company as Shinola - a nice brand synergy.

However...

As much as I love these bikes, they're not my beer of choice. In fact, much like a Porter, they're just one I don't really care to drink. I'm not sure if I lack the tweediness for them, or if I feel I'd need a hipster "Greg Norton" mustache (hey, cool, I got a Husker Du reference in here...). It's just not my bike. But if you're looking for a city bike with style, performance, and carrying capacity, I'd go have myself a look. Better still, if you find yourself in Detroit or Tribeca, but sure to hit Shinola's flagship stores. It's a rush.

-Sean-

No comments: