05 March, 2015

Product Review: CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer

This Winter I vowed not to spend the snowy season getting fat. Or at least not fatTER. I hate gyms. My knees won't take running. So, I had to come up with a solution.

This year, I decided to try combining some time on the trainer with more regular local skiing at Mt. Brighton, courtesy of my Epic Pass. I figured that between these I'd get some regular, aerobic activity and burn some calories in the process.

First things first, though -- I needed to get a trainer. Several seasons back I had a house-brand unit from one of the larger bike retailers. It was LOUD, didn't really have much of the feel of the road, and generally loathesome. I hated being on it, even with a TV to watch.

On the advice of a friend, I looked into CycleOps products. He was pleased with the ride of his and found that even living in a townhouse with shared walls he had no issue with noise. After some online research and a shop visit, I purchased a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer. The sales guy and the reviews both said that the fluid model was well-worth the extra money for quietness and a progressive resistance that would simulate real-world riding. And, the sales guy added that the CycleOps was really the "forever" trainer.

Right out of the box, the unit makes a good impression. A sturdy frame and a heavy, rugged cast resistance unit should make for durability and help keep things stable and quiet. Set-up is simple and straightforward with excellent directions. Off to a good start.

From the first pedal stroke, I notice something - the absence of noise. And in fact at higher RPMs the volume level really doesn't increase very much. This will enable me to ride whenever I want without fear of the ruckus.

But the best part is the resistance. Unlike the old trainer, it's silky smooth. And as you pick up cadence and/or increase load it responds by gradually increasing resistance. In short, it acts like riding a real bike on a real road.

And I'm finding that while it's nothing like the reward of a real outdoor ride, I'm actually enjoying the trainer. I like that it's MY bike, not just some spin machine at a health club. And I'm using the heartbeat and cadence sensing capabilities of my Garmin Edge 810 to manage my rides for maximum benefit. I've got the unit set up in my shop, so I have a good stereo connected to the iPod. I actually find that music helps pass the time (for me) better than TV did.

As an aside, I have found that some music motivates and passes the time better than other music. I've built a couple of training-specific playlists on my iPod just for rides. So far Bob Mould/Sugar/Husker Du and Black Flag seem to be some of my leading choices. But even seemingly mellow stuff like Band of Horses also works.

But I digress...

Great job CycleOps - the Fluid2 Trainer is an excellent product. Highly recommended!

-Sean-

No comments: