10 April, 2015

Roll On - Roval Rapide CLX 60 Wheels

Got the new wheels out for a first ride last weekend. Josh had a 40+ miler all planned out for me. Despite some pretty serious wind, we headed out in the afternoon.

I'd read a lot about aero profile wheels and the wind. A number of online mentions expressed concern over 60mm profiles like my Roval Rapide CLX 60's. More profile = more exposure to crosswinds, etc. So, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

What I found was that while you could definitely feel the impact of the wind, it really wasn't that big of a deal. Not bad per se, just different. Cross-wind gusts were noticeable, primarily with the front wheel, but not completely scary.

One thing I will say is that my bike looks BAD ASS with these wheels. As Josh commented, "It's like a completely new ride." And, he's right. Just looks tough.

Giant Defy Advanced with Specialized Roval Rapide CLX 60 wheels
Giant Defy Advanced with new Specialized Roval Rapide CLX 60's

As to the performance and handling of the wheels and their impact on my ride, it's really hard to say. Between ripping winds, and the fact that I haven't got a lot of road miles in yet this season (Winter hasn't really wanted to give up in Michigan) I don't think it was an optimum situation to evaluate. By the end of almost 45 miles, I was pretty much cooked. But, I survived those miles, and I think the new wheels made that easier.

More to follow as I get in more miles. Early impressions are that I like 'em.

-Sean-

4 comments:

Ricardo said...

How are you finding the wheels? I am looking at buying a set. The spoke count is the only thing I would question, are they stiff? I'm a big enough guy with plenty of power.

Sean Hickey said...

Thus far, in my limited experience, they seem to be good. To be honest, your concern is exactly what I was concerned about. I'm 6'0" and 210# (after this Winter) but usually go around 200#. Thus far, they seem to be holding up fine and I really don't feel any flex. But I will be watching closely. In all candor, I have some concerns that I should even be on carbon wheels. If I don't end up keeping these, I will go to a custom aluminum hoop with King hubs. But I'm going to give these most of a season to form an impression.

Ricardo said...

Well I'm 6'5'' and weigh similar to yourself pre and post Christmas. I wouldn't worry about using carbon wheels. I have been using them for 3+ years now and I race on sometimes bad roads here in Ireland. I had a set of Zipp 404's but the hubs kept on loosening and there was some slight flex in them when sprinting out of corners. I've only heard good reviews about the rovals so far!

Sean Hickey said...

Given that - I think you'd be happy with the Rovals. The friend I bought them from went to 404's. He's already had some (albeit minor) issues with wheels staying true. Right now, I'd say go for the Rovals, especially if you can score a good deal. But if money's no object and you're hardcore, I'd have a look at some custom carbon wheels built around King hubs with a higher spoke count. Best of all worlds!