21 September, 2015

Black is the New Black

Several years back as Jon Ray and I were trying to find the right hoodie to offer from Mangled Fly, he taught me a valuable lesson. Black absorbs and sunlight to keep you warmer. Seems pretty obvious, but I'd really never considered it before. Since then, black is the new black for me!

Yesterday was a perfect example. Wanted to take a ride, but it was a touch chilly. Of course it wasn't quite cold enough to warrant a thermal jersey. As I'm choosing my kit I remember Jon's words. Ordinarily, I tend to select brighter jerseys for visibility, but I decided it was time to break out the SWEET BikeWorks jersey I picked up in Kona last year.

This shop was pretty amazing - when you're in a place with a lot of disposable income like Kona, you can stock things like a Specialized S-Works Venge (at $10K) or or a Giant Defy Advanced 0 that you might never see in other shops.

Threw on a pair of bibs, this jersey, and arm warmers and headed out for a perfect ride. I was very comfortable the whole time and even able to remove the arm warmers on the route home. The little extra boost warmth from black on a sunny cool day was just right.

A simple reminder of a great outdoor trick - black is the new black!

-Sean-

No comments: