10 June, 2008

.22 and the Price of Everything

I think one of my outdoor favorites is my discovery of .22's for target shooting. As ammo costs skyrocket (bought a box of .45 rounds lately? Yikes.) the .22 remains a bargain. After shooting a friend's .22 rifle last year I decided in January that a Browning Buckmark needed to get added to the collection. Then a friend gave me his old Ruger 10/22 rifle.

Beyond the benefits of being able to shoot .22 without taking out a second mortgage, I've found lots of other things to love about this caliber. The ability to really focus on key aspects of marksmanship like breathing, point of aim, trigger pull, etc. have really helped me. And not anticipating recoil is a real bonus. Plus, last weekend I was able to dial-in the new fiber optic sights on my rifle without consuming an entire paycheck.

The only downside so far? Man, that stuff shoots DIRTY!

So if you thought .22's were only for kids plinking cans, think again. I'm certainly enjoying!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I discovered how much fun a .22 could be for target shooting years ago. I think I thought it might be fun because I like my .22 rifle so much. Enjoy the shooting!