09 July, 2008

A different sort of outside...

Yesterday was my first shift as a food run volunteer with Food Gatherers, Ann Arbor's local affiliate of America's Second Harvest. I've been looking for some activites to try and give back to the community and stumbled onto this one after seeing a feature on ABC News. The story detailed how some stable middle-class families have ended up needing assistance due to the failing economy and gas price increases.

I rode with one of the drivers and delivered groceries to a local church for distribution, to a substance abuse treatment center, to a halfway house for people with psychiatric illnesses, and a few locations. Then we stopped at some local businesses to pick up items for re-distribution.

It was hot, humid, and hard work. And one of the most fulfilling things I've ever done. I actually got to interact with the people I was helping. I've now signed up for a shift every other week and hope to expand this. A truly fulfilling, humbling experience -- and one that got me outdoors!

-Sean-

No comments: