25 August, 2008

Amazing

So much to say about the amazing weekend, but I'll start with some bite-sized chunks today -- that work thing is getting in the way.

Headed to the Petoskey/Charlevoix area for friend and co-worker Keith's wedding. An area I've spent very little time in, so I was excited. Plus a little camping, a little fishing...

Friday was perhaps one of the best days I can remember. After a late start (chores, work, ugh...) I got on the road with a loaded down Element. Decided on the drive up to try and fish the Jordan River and possible stay at Fisherman's Island State Park in Charlevoix.


Checked out a campground on Jordan at Graves Crossing. First spot occupied by an RV with 46,000 empty Bud Light cans. Yeah, on to Charlevoix. Why do people need to do that? But river looked great, so headed in to Charlevoix. What a gem Fisherman's Island SP was. Rustic, beautiful sites, and very well maintained. Snagged a nice site and proceeded to set camp.




This was the maiden voyage for the $12 tent. And it was GREAT! Of course, the weather was beautiful without a spot of rain, so that helped.


After getting camp set, grabbed fly fishing gear and headed back to Jordan River for an evening fish. In a word, "WOW". Clear, sparkling, cold, just a stunning setting. Even got a nice little 6" brown trout for my troubles. Sent him on his way after thanking him for some fun. After a mile or so downstream, hiked back to the truck and sat on the tailgate with a well-earned beer as the sun began to sink.


Back to Petoskey for a quick dinner (and, uh, a few more beers -- I met some cool locals sitting at the bar...) and to camp for a nice fire.

About this time, the catharsis of all this starts to sink in. I've just spent the majority of my day accountable to no one but me. And doing what I alone wanted to do. At my pace. But more importantly, it's a return to my roots. As a kid, my family camped all the time. And as a Boy Scout, I camped even more. I always loved it, but for a lot of reasons, I stopped. As I sat by the fire, I realized how good the connection to nature really felt. The persistent knot in my neck seemed to be gone. And I was truly at-peace. More on this amazing weekend later...
-Sean-

1 comment:

cbomb said...

They spent more on their 46,000 beer cans than you did on your tent!