24 September, 2008

Share Your Passion

Was reading latest copy of Ducks Unlimited magazine and they had a sidebar article on how to help out with conservation and environmental awareness. One item resonated with me -- they suggested you introduce a friend or family member to an outdoor passion of yours. They further added that in our increasingly "outdoor averse" world of Wii, wireless Internet, and on-demand cable TV it's getting easier for people to WATCH rather than DO. And we've increasingly become a culture that's lost touch with the outdoors.

This really resonated with me. In the past several years, I've been able to experience some new things through the kindness of friends who provided a gentle introduction. I owe Dan (pheasant hunting), Andy (sporting clays), Paul (target shooting), my Dad (fly fishing), Nick (rabbit hunting) a hearty thanks. And that's not even including businesses like Colton Bay, Old AuSable, and BBT (fly fishing), Great Lakes Cycle (bicycling), and Sun & Snow (skiing) who are always willing to offer helpful advice that fosters learning and improves my outdoor experiences.

And, I feel like I'm returning the favors. Got Paul the "trout fever" of fly fishing. Helped Dan be a better cook with the wild game he hunts, even taught Dad some new fishing knots and easier ways to tie them!

So whether you trout fish, ski, dogsled, hunt grouse, mountain bike, geocache, or whatever -- take the time to introduce someone new. Unless it's golf. But that's another blog...

-Sean-

No comments: