10 September, 2008

Church of the Sacred Trout

Wonderful weekend of fishing in UP with friend Paul, and Dad. Lots of great things, but one story stands out.

Saturday afternoon we decided to to check out Thompson Creek - just west of Manistique. Dad and Paul hiked in downstream, I went a little upstream. As I poked my head through an opening in the cover I see a stunning brown trout -- probably 20" with spectacular markings -- just hovering in the current. The stream was crystal clear with a sand bottom, probably less than a foot deep. This majestic fish was just swimming enough to stay in place. A ray of sun shone through the canopy onto him.

After a few minutes, I meet my companions back at the truck. After a quick stop at the fishery up the road to check legal status of fishing this section, we head back. This time Dad and I hike to the same upstream spot. Sure enough - that beautiful fish is still there. I point him out to Dad, and he gently swims off. I think he was waiting for me to have a witness.

People talk about "near religious" experiences they've had in the outdoors and this was mine. It was like someone put that fish in that setting at that moment just for me to experience. No camera with me, but no matter -- the image will be forever fresh in my mind's eye.

-Sean-

P.S. Trout opener, next April, UP. Great streams!!!!

No comments: