09 January, 2009

Mind, Body, Spirit

As you can see, a New Year always seems to fire me up. Some years I'm rich with New Year's Resolutions, others, less so.

Last year's New Year's Resolution was to really start an aggressive fitness program, including a fair bit of weightlifting to balance out cardio activities. And, I've done it. Since last January I'm in the gym three mornings a week fairly religiously. This summer I was averaging 100 miles per week cycling.

And it's truly been worth it. I'm in the best shape in well over a decade, maybe two. My physique is more balanced (always had much stronger legs from cycling and skiing), I have more energy, and I sleep better. The whole mind-body-spirit connection really seems to ring true for me.

But the biggest benefit has been for strength and endurance in my outdoor pursuits. Went pheasant hunting with some friends last month in pretty deep snow. Had TONS of energy, even at day's end. Skied a VERY long hard day last Saturday with very few breaks. Felt great at the end. Hiked in through deep snow to fly fish the day before and just powered through it. I can truly feel the difference.

It only takes three weeks to form a habit. Many have told me this. And you can sure benefit.

-Sean-

No comments: