15 January, 2009

Positively Polar

Well, the high for the day tomorrow is supposed to be 6. That's degrees, as in Fahrenheit.

Even I have cold weather limits (really, I do). That's enough to minimize my outdoor hijinks. But even if I'm limiting my time outside, I love the crispness. The snow has that cold "crunch" to it. I love that sound on some elemental level.

But that triggers a pet peeve -- and peeves make terrible pets. The cold weather complainers. It's Michigan. That's in the Upper Midwest. It gets cold here. Every winter. Dress for it -- it's really not that hard. I'm amazed how many of these complainers aren't wearing a hat. Duh. Single greatest source of heat loss. And footwear. My Sorel's aren't pretty, but they keep my feet TOASTY! Sure, I have tons of cold weather gear, but that's so I can stay outside -- where I'd rather be -- and remain comfortable.
People are shocked when I tell them I've been out flyfishing lately. It's funny, on my last trip to PM, I actually took a couple of layers off as I was too warm. This was on an 18 degree day with a little breeze and lots of snow. Nice to be able to stay outside. My best tip? Invest in a GOOD modern baselayer. I love my Simms lightweight base.
-Sean-

4 comments:

Geo said...

Wool. I'm all about the good ol' wool baselayer. I love my long-sleeve wool base. I returned my fancy winter biking gloves (just don't make women's gloves with long enough fingers) and bought wool liners for a regular old pair of thinsulate gloves. Eat my shorts, Pearl Izumi! I don't need your stinking $65 gloves!

Ahem, anyway, wool. Good for sheep. Good for chilly humans.

Sean Hickey said...

The world has evolved, Conan the Historian. I wouldn't trade my Simms poly base for anything. And it has sexy stirrups to keep it from crawling northward...

Geo said...

Okay, but have you seen what wool and poly can do together? It's pretty amazing... BTW, wool has gone modern (washable, non-itchy, etc.).

Sean Hickey said...

This is starting to sound like a Reese's ad... you got poly on my wool! Oh, yeah, well you got wool on my poly...