19 January, 2009

Slidin' Grooves

Funny, I love music and have it in my life a lot, but for most of the outdoor stuff I don't usually. On a bike it's distracting (and dangerous). Hunting, well, duh. Fishing - I'm really out there to hear the sounds of nature. Ditto kayaking.

But skiing is different.

Having my iPod is the difference between a good day and a great day. And since moving to a helmet (Giro G10 with Skull Candy TuneUps) it's like my own little audio oasis. I have an older 1Gb Shuffle that's loaded up and just randomizes. Yesterday on the slopes I was thinking about what tunes work and what don't. Some surprises - really fast-paced stuff just doesn't cut it. And too ethereal is just - well -- too ethereal. A nice groove with some soul behind it seems to do it. So, with that, my playlist of faves:

James McMurtry - "Red Dress"
Silversun Pickups - "Comeback Kid"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Snow" (predictable, I know, but it works...)
Flogging Molly - "Swagger" or "Drunken Lullabies"
Lindsey Buckingham - "Don't Look Down"
Most any Charlie Hunter
Weakerthans - "Reconstruction Site"
Sarah MacLachlan - "Ice Cream"
Ryan Adams - "Gonna Make You Love Me"
Clash - "One More Time" (in fact, most of Sandinista works)
Beck - "Devils Haircut"

Late addition -- "Right Place to Fade" from Lindsey Buckingham's latest. Need to drag that onto the iPod!

A little glimpse into my personal ski playlist. Enjoy the outdoors!

-Sean-

No comments: