20 January, 2009

Brand New Day

This blog isn't usually politicial, but on this significant day, I feel compelled to go in a different direction - but don't worry, there's some outdoor spin in here. It may be a long one, so hold on tight...

Today's inauguration of President Obama holds so much significance to me. I'm a believer in fresh starts, new beginnings, and finding ways to throw away what didn't work in the past and invent new ways to get things done.

And that's just what this country needs right now. After 8 years of political infighting, short-sightedness (and not just by the politicians), and weak leadership it's time for a new approach. My sincere hope is that President Obama's charisma will trickle down, even if only a little, to all of us. Our politicians need to make changes, but we do, too.

It's time to stop running scared. Want to know why the economy went into a tailspin in September/October? In my opinion, two simple reasons. First, it was time to pay up for years of unrealistic economic exuberance, financed by the future. But, more significantly, we all got scared. And we stopped doing the things we used to do. The things that fueled and drove our economy. For this, I blame the media. With 83 news channels who need to fill airwaves 24/7/365 they needed something to talk about. And the election was looking like a fait accompli, so they turned to the economy. I read an article yesterday about how Russians are handling the global economic downturn -- "Well, we've been through worse, now back to work..."

But my greatest issue with the legacy administration is the shift in environmental priorities. After all the good done in the Clinton era, it is truly astounding how much the Texas Oil Conglomerate managed to undo. Once again, mortgaging the present for the future. I have great hope President Obama, along with a more balanced Capital Hill will navigate these waters to a saner path.

Don't get me wrong - I think the bulk of responsibility starts with "we the people". Look around you. It's not hard to reduce your environmental impact. I'm not saying we all need to start biking to work (I wish that were possible for me), living in yurts made of eco-sustainable fabrics, and eating stuff we grew organically. But I'd bet with a little effort you could reduce your footprint. Swap traditional bulbs for CFLs. If those are too costly, just do it in the lights you use often. Dump that big-a$$ SUV for a smaller one. And don't use the "kid hauler" argument. My sister and I grew up riding in a PINTO in the early years. Worked out just fine. Get more aggressive about recycling - it only takes a second to sort. Ditch aerosols for squeeze and pump packaging. For outdoorspeople the opportunities are easy. If you're a fisherman, don't just drop line trimmings -- pack them out. For skiers, check out Purl Wax, the only earth-friendly ski wax available (and there's some BAD stuff in traditional waxes that melts and runs off into streams). It took me about 38 seconds to generate that list. Bet it would be easy for you to think of one.

Then, get involved. Find a cause that needs you. Whether it's environmental, human services, through your church, or whatever. A lot of people are suffering, and so is the environment. Take the time you were going to waste watching a movie and go help cook dinner at a shelter. Most important, do something that's meaningful to you and that you enjoy. It will keep you commited and going back to help. Another example - many chapters of Trout Unlimited do river clean-ups and improvement projects. What a cool way to spend a day! On the river, making it better!

For me, I will miss the inauguration speech today. I'll be doing my regular volunteer shift with a local food bank making deliveries and picking up donations. And on this most historic of days, there's nowhere I'd rather be. It's a proud day to be an American.

-Sean-

No comments: