03 February, 2009

Brandstand

Like my info says, I make my living in marketing. So today I thought I'd intersect that with some outdoors stuff.

While there are some solid brands in the Outdoor segment (Browning is one that springs to mind) I think few do it as well as Simms in the fly fishing space. Their consistency and commitment to staying on-brand is fantastic. Every execution - from their excellent web site, to their print advertising - supports their clear position. I love their "guide as hero" position. The implication being if it's good enough for a professional guide who counts on this gear to earn their living, then it's solid for the weekend warrior. In some way, most of us who fish harbor some secret desire to be a guide -- chuck the day job and the mortgage and get out there. And, naturally, their smart a$$ tone appeals to me.

But for every brand that's solid in marketing, there are dozens that fall short in their product or its delivery. Not Simms. Every piece of gear I own from them is exceptional, and includes some unusual value-added feature. I know it's a good product line when I'm hard-pressed to name my favorite. Even the lowly ball cap quickly became my favorite. And every dealer I've visited was knowledgeable and on-the-ball.

And the benefit to the company is clear -- Simms gear isn't cheap. But with a solid brand, they're able to charge what it's worth. That's the true value of the brand. This isn't a commercial for Simms (well, OK, maybe it is...) but it's one of the brands that most consistently captures my attention as a marketer. Well done!

-Sean-

No comments: