02 February, 2009

Splashdown!


Well, it was inevitable...

I took a swim on Saturday in the 37-degree Pere Marquette river, with air temps in the low 20's. Was walking along working a hole near where the Baldwin flows in when suddenly, BLOOP -- I'm up to my chin in cold water.

Cool part was my reaction. I know from reading and other learning that you panic, you drown. I stayed really calm. Assessed that I'd stepped in a hole, got my feet under me and downstream and started looking for next shallow bar. Got myself up out of the river, found a path to the bank and climbed out. Even had time to consider if I should deploy my inflatable life vest and decided I didn't need to.
So, now the fun part starts. The half-mile hike back to the truck. I know that if I stop moving, everything freezes. This is bad. So, off I go. Fortunately, all my layers are doing what they're supposed to (got to LOVE Simms base -- it works) and I'm warm. And squishy.
As I'm walking out I start thinking, "Man, I want a beer... I earned it...". Of course, I didn't have any. So, I decide to stop at a convenience store. When I unzip my jacket pocket to get my wallet out, a bunch of water drains out. And my wallet is soaked. The look on the clerk's face was priceless. Surprised some fish didn't flop out, too!
I've now completed a rite of passage. Took my first cold-water swim. And, all things considered, not so bad! Made a good story for my visit to Edy's Log Bar later that night.
-Sean-

No comments: