30 January, 2009

Hot Rocks

I've found a new winter fave - the sauna. Started taking a quick sauna after workout a few weeks back. And each week my time in there seems to creep up a bit.

It's the perfect complement to the workout. Time for muscles, mind, and breathing to relax. I find that five minutes of meditation in that heat really clears things out and puts me ready for the workday. As an added benefit, I haven't had many of the dry skin issues that seem to crop up in the winter thus far.


Seems to be a connection to childhood, too. As a kid we lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the summer and as the UP seems to be the sauna capital of America (as far as I can tell) there was often access to a hot Finnish sauna, followed by a VERY cold dip in the lake.

As an interesting aside, I've found a quirk of guy code. While you can't talk at the urinal, it is apparently perfectly acceptable to chat in the sauna. I don't get it, but got to follow the rules or risk getting my Man Card pulled!

-Sean-

No comments: