20 February, 2009

Spend Local

I've plugged the local business angle before, but as the economic grip tightens, it seems even more critical. If your local fly, bike, or ski shop doesn't survive this not only are jobs lost in your community, but you lose access to so much knowledge and help.

Buying local doesn't have to mean more expensive. But even if it is a little more expensive, you save on shipping. And I'm finding that many local shops will negotiate on big ticket purchases to a surprising extent. Just ask. I had planned to order a Ross reel for steelhead, but after talking to the store owner and finding out he was carrying a lot more inventory than he wanted, we cut a great deal on an Orvis reel that I'm extremely happy with! Win-win!

Even paying State Sales Tax ultimately benefits your home playgrounds, with funding for roads, schools, and other areas. And it's still cheaper than shipping.

One trend I have noticed -- with the dip in the economy, these guys are carrying a lot less inventory. Makes good business sense to me, but some folks are instant gratification types. I find that in most cases they can order me what I'm looking for and have it faster than online resources anyway. And if it shows and it's not right, you're dealing with a real human being who will make it right.

I'd even suggest you take this philosophy on the road. Most fishermen I know will stop in at the local fly shop or bait shop for info on river conditions, what's working, or just to learn. Make sure you drop a few bucks (or a lot of bucks!) with them when you do. Buy a hat, some flies, a few pieces of gear.

Now, a quick plug for some of my favorites, both in Ann Arbor and elsewhere in Michigan:

Sun & Snow Sports (http://www.sunandsnow.com/)
Great range of ski, snowboard, and kayak gear. And owner Rob is one of the best bootfitters around.

Colton Bay Outfitters (http://www.coltonbay.com/)
Great spot for fly fishing gear, and outdoor apparel. Mike Schultz is a wealth of fishing knowledge and owner Jon Davis always works hard to make you a good deal on just-right gear. Midwest's largest Filson dealer - and really nice guys.

Great Lakes Cycle & Fitness (http://greatlakescycling.com/)
Nice bike and parts selection, great prices, and friendly staff. And shop manager Steve Sauter builds amazing custom wheels.

Baldwin Bait & Tackle (http://www.fishbaldwin.com/)
Great place for info on the Pere Marquette prior to a visit. Nice stock of gear and flies, and a pleasant place to pass a little time. I almost always stop in.

Schmidt Outfitters (http://www.schmidtoutfitters.com/)
A new addition - I've stopped a few times on my way to ski Caberfae from Baldwin. Early morning hours have made this a favorite stop and it's a great fly shop with a ton of great gear. Had the chance to meet and chat with Ray Schmidt on last stop and thoroughly enjoyed.

Jay's Outdoors (http://www.jaysoutdoors.com/)
An exceptional alternative to the mega-stores, with locations in Clare and Gaylord. Broad range of every sort of outdoor gear, and very good pricing. Sure, they're not as deep as a specialty store, but I find so much there.

Hope this helps you consider another perspective on how you spend your money. I sure find that these retailers appreciate my business more than ever.

-Sean-

1 comment:

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.