25 February, 2009

Epic

A couple of over-the-top days skiing this week at Caberfae. On Friday, I noticed the weather patterns for the area had changed and they were calling for big snow on Saturday, so I planned to head up on Sunday morning. Got a bunch of work done and decided to take Monday off and make it worth the drive with some fly fishing on the PM.

Sunday morning brought a pretty drive up and found 10" of fresh powder on the hill and minimal crowds. Mix of sun and clouds all day, until about 3:30. Then the snow started. Big, fluffy flakes and HARD -- like being inside a just-shaken snow globe. And it just kept coming down. At one point I was riding up on the lift with a guy who just said, "Epic". That pretty much summed it up. Couldn't see much, and didn't care.

About 7:30 I realized that the drive to Baldwin might get a little dicey if I didn't hit the road. My original plan had been some fishing, but I realized I can fish all summer. Powder days - especially in Michigan - are rare. Best to take advantage.

Monday was an outstanding day. Fished the PM for a couple of hours - no swimming this time. Then headed back to Caberfae. Wow, what a day. Bluebird, 8" of fresh powder. No crowds. Warm. No wind. Just couldn't have asked for better.

Best of all? Two solid days on my powder skis! In Michigan no less! When conditions are right, my Line Prophet 100's are just outstanding. Float, cut through crud, and super smooth. Even skied them on some soft bumps quite well. Lousy on typical Michigan hardpack, but when they're on the right stuff, they rock.

Epic. Best word I have. A couple of my most satisfying ski days I can recall.

-Sean-

No comments: