20 March, 2009

Helmet Up!

This week's news of Natasha Richardson's seemingly minor fall and its tragic outcome was sobering. I was a late arrival to a helmet for skiing, but now I'm a firm believer. I've heard multiple doctors comment that had she been wearing a helmet, things would have turned out very differently.

While I avoided helmets for a long time -- thinking they made me uncool somehow -- I got one a couple seasons back and now really enjoy it (a Giro G10). It's warm when it needs to be, ventilated when it doesn't. Super comfortable. And with the SkullCandy TuneUps connected to my iPod Shuffle, I even have my own little audio environment.

So, if you're not skiing in a helmet, maybe this event will get you thinking about it. BTW, when you do, I highly recommend purchasing from a local shop with knowledgeable staff. Proper fit is important and it's surprising how much that varies from brand-to-brand.

-Sean-

No comments: