13 March, 2009

Motown Mumbling

OK, this isn't really about the outdoors, but it's on my mind...

If you haven't been following the whole chain of events with Detroit City Councilwoman Martha Reeves comments regarding the free Jay Leno performance at the Palace of Auburn Hills, you should. Fascinating. And indicative of SE Michigan's problems.

I love Detroit. I go downtown to Eastern Market to buy meat and produce, I love a Tiger game at Comerica Park, the BBQ at Slows, late-night coneys at Lafayette, Motown Brewing Co's great beers and comfy atmosphere, visiting the Detroit Institute of the Arts. Detroit is gritty, industrial, and cool.

I live in the suburbs. Yes, Councilwoman Reeves -- I drive in and spend my money in the City of Detroit. Yet you say the suburbs "don't matter" and all that's out here are shopping malls.

To make a media show out of the fact the Leno is performing in Auburn Hills (part of the Metro Detroit AREA) rather than in the City of Detroit is pointless, divisive, and makes this region look foolish. And, by the way with the NCAA Final Four at Ford Field, there's really no venue large enough in the City that's available. Plus, don't we have bigger fish to fry just now?

This is the sort of malarkey that makes moving to Manistee or Baldwin and spending more time on the rivers and in the woods so attractive.

Rant concluded.

-Sean-

No comments: