07 April, 2009

The Reel Deal

When I started fly fishing a couple of years back, I picked up a basic Ross Worldwide Flystart reel. It's been dependable, seems to work properly, and a solid piece of gear. Lots of places you read say that a reel is just something to hold the line anyway.

But one day last year I stopped in at Old AuSable Flyfishing in Grayling and got talking to the owner, Andy. He was explaining some of the differences in better reels. All of this made sense, but then he said something that I didn't really get until later. He told me he just loves the feel of really finely made reel. The click, the smoothness of the operation, and the fit and finish.

With the addition of my Orvis Battenkill large arbor (pictured in the header of this blog) steelhead reel, I started to get it. There's something in it's machined beauty that the lowly cast Flystart just doesn't have. It feels smooth, solid, and almost jewellike. And it's darn pretty, too and balances the rod wonderfully. I can't really describe it, but the feel is so different. Plus, the drag system could likely stop a freight train. This Orvis reel certainly isn't super-high-end; check out the Hatch reels if you're near a dealer -- STUNNING. But they START at $400 and rise quickly. OUCH!
I also have a Ross CLA that's just beautiful in a 6-weight. Super smooth operation. Feels like it could spin forever. Perfect match for a Scott A2 rod in the same weight.

So, thanks, Andy, I get it now...


-Sean-

No comments: