10 April, 2009

Old Skool

Been wanting to update my circa-1983 mountain bike for a year or so. Didn't really know what I wanted to do, didn't want to spend the money, and so on. Then recently the idea of a single-speed struck me. No fussy derailleurs. Lighter. Less maintenance. Easy to just hop on and take a spin. Saw a beautiful Cannondale at local bike shop But, ouch -- $1,000. For something I really just want for a short trail ride, or a ride around town.

So, I start poking around online. Through Craigslist, I find an SE Racing Big Momma Flyer (BMF -- how cool is that?) that looks to be in great shape. After some research, I figure out that these bikes are real gems. Built like a truck, but still lightweight. Solid components. And though they have rim brakes, they're fully disc-ready.

Picked it up the other night -- it's SWEET! It's a 29er and those big wheels roll over everything. Cool looking, too. I think it will be perfect for what I wanted. And the retro-SE thing really appeals to me. As a kid, I raced BMX bikes and owned about 847 of them. Including an SE Racing PK Ripper and an OM Flyer cruiser. The BMF definitely reminds me of them. Even has a Landing Gear fork!

Of course, there's some tuning and customization to do, but it's surprisingly minor. Wheels need to be trued and re-tensioned. Stock gearing is a brutal 41-18, so I'm looking for a smaller front cog. I want to re-install the chain tensioner and put a longer chain on for easier gearing swaps. And, naturally, I've already ordered Avid BB-7 discs and cables. But it's all low-buck stuff on an already bargain-priced ride. Should be a GREAT addition to the stable. More will follow as I get to know this cool ride.

-Sean-

No comments: