14 April, 2009

Who Needs Business Golf?

Fly fishing for steelhead on the Pere Marquette on Friday with one of my clients, and some folks from an online media outlet we utilize. Spring run is well underway, weather looks gorgeous -- should be a great day. Which got me to thinking -- who needs business golf?

My Dad spent a long and successful career while seldom ever playing golf (and not well when he did...). I've actually found a great bond with clients and business partners in so many other things. Especially fishing, hunting, and shooting. I've shot clays and targets with clients, fished steelhead with the media, and Lake Michigan salmon with prospective clients. A friend of mine did a pheasant hunt for associates, clients and prospects for a number of years -- always a great event for all who participated.

Years ago I worked with a sales rep who had a solid book of business that he'd helped nurture through outdoor pursuits. It's surprising once you start talking about such things with people how many are into them. And, I've even found it helpful in getting access to trying new things with someone who knows what they're doing.

Never really had much interest in golf -- nice to know I don't really need it to do business!

-Sean-

No comments: