29 May, 2009

Dissapointing

Often in this blog I'll write about some product, service, or shop I've had a positive experience with. This is not one of those entries...

Recently, I've noticed the my Orvis Silver Label XT waders are exhibiting an odd behavior. There's a drain hole beneath the additional layer(s) over the knee area. And it doesn't seem to drain -- only allows them to fill up. I first noticed it in the Au Sable on UP trip in the left leg. Then both legs were filling up on the Boardman two weeks later. They don't leak inside, but it's a "Michelin Man" effect on the river. And I'm thinking it's also not overly safe.

So, I stop at the fly shop where I bought them. Manager tells me he had a pair years ago and they had the same problem. He doesn't think Orvis will do anything, but he'll call them to discuss. He then adds that this sort of thing is why they don't sell Orvis waders anymore.

I've had a number of Orvis products that have been excellent. It's a company I've always thought well of. If the fly shop doesn't get me anywhere, I'll be taking it up with them directly.

Perhaps it's time to look more closely at those Redington CPX waders I've been hearing all the good things about...

-Sean-

No comments: