27 May, 2009

Rivers

I was thinking the other day of all the Michigan rivers I've had the opportunity to fish in the past two years. And how many I still want to investigate. In the past two years, I've fished on:
  • Au Sable
  • Boyne
  • Days
  • Huron
  • Jordan
  • Maple
  • Manistee (Big, below Tippy Dam)
  • Manistique
  • Pere Marquette
  • Sturgeon (Central UP)
  • Thompson Creek

For a relative newbie, I think that's pretty solid. A few are on my hit list for the coming year:

  • Pine (NW lower peninsula one just below Manistee
  • Little Manistee
  • Betsie
  • Big Two Hearted
  • Fox
  • Platte
  • Manistee (Big, upper portions)

That should keep me busy exploring! With all the bad you hear about Michigan in the news, our natural resources are really unmatched. To have all these world-class rivers within a few hours is pretty amazing. I must say the Pere remains my favorite, but I'm also getting to like the remote little UP trout streams. And while the Huron doesn't have trout -- it's five minutes away.

-Sean-

No comments: