12 May, 2009

A Question of Style

When I started fly fishing a couple of years back, I had no clue how complex, and yet logical it all was. While I have by no means mastered it -- and doubt I ever will -- I'm surprised by how much I've learned, especially in the past year. I really spent the first year bumbling around learning how to tie some knots, how not to drown while wading, and how to accidentally snag trees and lose flies.

On the way back from the UP trip, I got to experience my first real "hatch" on a trout stream, spending an evening on the Au Sable during a Hendrickson hatch. Most of my recent fishing has been sub-surface with either weighted steelhead rigs, streamers, or nymphs. The bugs were as thick as snow at times and it was a really amazing experience. Plus, it was a really good opportunity to put the things I've learned from others and from reading to work. My casting was solid -- I was consistently able to put flies where I wanted them using standard and roll casts. By mending, I could get a natural drift. It felt really good to be able to think of a strategy and then implement it.

Ah, but all was not perfect. I didn't actually CATCH anything! I had a few takes and some interest, but no closed deals. I think part of it was learning to detect strikes. After a few days of steelhead fishing, where it's like hooking an angry freight train, trout were so subtle and polite. A simple "gloop" was about the only indicator.

The beauty, style, and subtlety of trout fishing was very therapeutic. Smooth delivery, cadence, and technique all seemed key, but not stressful. A really relaxing experience and perhaps the best way I could imagine to spend a pleasant summer evening.

-Sean-

No comments: