11 May, 2009

Get it in Gear

Flashback to the old theoretical math I always hated in school this weekend. Trying to re-gear the 29er single-speed bike. Current gearing is 41-18. OK on a flat street, but that's about it. Bought a 20t freewheel, but then I have two big cogs and I'm not sure it lowers gear ratio enough.

A friend gave me a Graveyard 31t front sprocket (way cool piece of BMX gear) this weekend. So this set me off on a quest to start comparing gear ratios and see what I might need to run in the back. After trying about 14 online calculators, I gave up. Seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to devise a calculator that lets you input wheel size, crank length, front and rear gearing and gives you a simple multiplier ratio.

At any rate, I think a 16t rear freewheel should do it. Appears to be a little lower than 41-20 and significantly lower than 41-18 stock. Yikes. Why is it always the simple things that become the most complex?

On the upside, the rear wheel is SWEET! Seems completely bulletproof. And the White Industries ENO eccentric hub seems the perfect solution for chain tension.

-Sean-

No comments: