08 May, 2009

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'...

But wait, it's not all fly fishing...

Took the new (to me) single-speed mountain bike for a spin last night. I'm digging that thing (SE Racing BMF). Big 29er wheels roll over obstacles effortlessly. It's just simple and stupid fun to ride.

And, it's proven to be a fun tweaking platform. Found an online deal on disc-brakes (Avid BB-7's for you gearheads) and cables. After a quick review of an installation video on YouTube, I got the front brake installed and set-up. Looks way-cool and cleaner than the rim brakes, works GREAT.

Steve Sauter at Great Lakes Cycle is working on my back wheel to get some more strength and also to convert it to a White Industries ENO eccentric hub so I have a chain tension solution. Once that's done, I'll install rear disc. Also picked up a little larger freewheel for rear to see if I can get the BRUTAL gear ratio (41-18) down a bit. A friend who's a lifelong flatland BMX guy thinks he has some extra smaller front sprockets, so that might help, too. I'm thinking 34t should do it.

Fun project bike, fun to ride, and scratches my itch for an updated mountain bike. Pix coming when I get a bit further along.

-Sean-

UPDATED: Picked up rear wheel today -- WAY cool! Steve did a great job. Having him do the front so I have a bulletproof set. Hoping to install freewheel and new chain this weekend.

No comments: