04 August, 2009

Gear That S*cks

I realized yesterday that I'd done several entries highlighting great gear, but few that spoke to stuff that was an absolute disappointment!

WTB Saddle
This one came on my Giant OCR road bike when I bought it. I quickly replaced it with a Serfas RX, which was a gigantic improvement. So, why did I put it on my mountain bike? Good question indeed. Too bad, it's cool looking, seems to have really rugged leather, and is pretty light. But it's like sitting on a sewer grate after a few miles. Time to go.

Cheap Cabelas Fly Boxes
Bought these when I first started fly fishing -- because they were cheap ($6). On first trip to Jordan River, waded in a little too deep and everything got wet. Fun time drying it all out. Plus, you have to open them to see what's inside. Now I buy Scientific Anglers System X boxes - only. They cost more for a reason. Clear covers so you can have a peek at contents and completely waterproof.

ACS Claws Freewheel
Why does ACS even sell these? Sounds like a bucket of rocks -- when you're pedaling! I could understand a rough coasting, but pedaling? Don't waste the 20 bucks, put it toward a White Industries freewheel. It'll be the last one you ever buy. Plus, it's got about the coolest coasting click sound in the world... yeah, I know...

Orvis Silver Label XT Waders
I was pretty happy with these until the double layer over the knees started filling up with water Michelin Man style while in the river. Inconvenient and potentially dangerous. Looks like it's a design flaw with the drain vents, but I've found out this was common with these. And they weren't cheap. Now they've been back at Orvis for two months awating resolution. Simms, or the cool new Redington CPX's, from now on.

Giro All-Around Helmet
Bought this with my road bike because it was cheap. Fits OK, and even has decent ventilation, but the strap system SUCKS! Won't stay tight, something's seemingly always in the wrong place.

Oh, well -- it can't all be good stuff on the first try!

-Sean-

No comments: