03 August, 2009

Geometry Problem

Always hated story problems. So, here's one:

If you have Size 12 feet, 180mm crank arms, and 29" wheels, what happens? Significant opportunities for interference. The delightful "RRRrrrrrrrpppp" of shoe contacting front tire. No disastrous results, but I'm definitely aware of pedal position!

Took an awesome ride yesterday at Island Lake Recreation area in Brighton. Rode the Blue Trail, which turned out to be a bit longer than I thought - 10 miles. But it was great fun to ride! Nice singletrack, moderate hills, and really nice people. When I arrived at the trailhead the parking lot was full of high-tech hardware. Thought it might be crowded, but trails were great -- especially for a nice Sunday afternoon in August.

Single speed is just perfect. Hill coming? Pedal harder. No time planning shifts, considering gears, or getting crossed up. Sort of a Zen thing with a more direct link from trail to rider. Sure, I spin out on fast descents due to low gearing, but that's the price you pay.

One suprise as I'm getting to know this bike. I heard a lot of criticisms of 29ers as feeling like a "big bike". I don't get that at all. Perhaps for a shorter rider that might be true, but my bike is almost trials-like. I can dead stop, balance and maneuver around obstacles.

I will say one thing -- I am SORE today!

-Sean-

No comments: