12 August, 2009

The Little Details

Lately I've noticed a bunch of little details in gear that I appreciate - how you tell the really great tools from the average. It's some small feature, fit-and-finish, or feel. A little clue that this one's a really special piece. Here a few of my favorite things I've noticed recently:

Ross CLA fly reel - somehow this reel has the most satisfying click sound either when stripping out line, or reeling in. It's a silly thing, but somehow it just communicates quality, precision, and solid engineering.

White Industries freewheel - it's the click again. My road bike's cluster is almost silent when you coast; something I've never liked about it. With the freewheel on the mountain bike, you can almost hear the solid, precise machining through the click. As an added plus, you don't surprise people on the trail!


Rapid River hunting knife - funny thing, while I love the feel and heft of this knife in hand, that's not what sets it apart for me. The sheath for this knife is perfect. Retains the knife perfectly, yet it's butt-simple to open for access.

Oakley polarized sunglasses - both pairs I own always surprise people. The optical quality is just astounding; the seem to make all other glasses seem to have a light film on them. As an added bonus, they fit better than any I've ever tried.

Hand-tied flies - I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's so easy to tell a hand-tied fly from some mass-produced Chinese special.

Simms G4 Guide jacket - while this jacket has some amazing features in the "Why didn't I think of that?" category, it's the hood that sets it apart. Always accessible, never in the way whether up or down, and seems to just move with you like it's not there. Except that your head's not getting wet!

Remington 11-48 shotgun - my guess is that this one's from the late 50's or early 60's; an era when guns were rugged and labor costs weren't a prohibitive investment. The sound this gun makes when you release the bolt and it takes up a shell is just amazing and confidence-inspiring. Kaa-thwoomp!

Pay attention when you find one of these features in some piece of your gear. I find it's kind of cool when I notice them. Makes me appreciate using them (and the investment) more!

-Sean-

No comments: