11 August, 2009

Worthy Investment

The old adage is true, "you get what you pay for". With the exception of cachet brands, where you're mostly paying for the value of the brand name, this seems true in outdoor gear. A difficult reality for a guy who likes a bargain, as I do.

After some negotiation with Orvis over my defective Silver XT waders, local fly shop stepped up to take care of me and get me into better waders. That will be my LAST pair of Orvis waders. Simms gear has always served me well and their waders have a sterling reputation, so I now have a brand new pair of G3 Guide stockingfoots.

As soon as I tried them on, I knew this was a whole different ballgame. Fit was completely different - not baggy at all. Yet, I had plenty of room to move, and layer for cold-weather steelheading. Shoulder straps fit naturally (always a problem with cheap waders). And, a million little details done just right - what I've come to expect from Simms. Fleece-lined handwarmer pockets should be welcome when the snow flies.

I've only been out in them twice, but so far they just disappear once I'm in the water. That seems like exactly what you want in a wader. Hoping to get out this weekend on the Huron for hex hatch.

-Sean-


No comments: