31 August, 2009

R.I.P. $12 Tent

After two seasons, it's time to retire the $12 tent (now valued at $16 as it needed a $4 patch). I realized recently that I was avoiding camping any time there was much chance of rain. Let's just say my confidence lacked.

Courtesy of a sale, I am now the proud owner of a North Face Moraine 23. From the instant I opened the box, the differences in quality were evident. But c'mon -- the new tent retailed for 15x the cost of it's predecessor.

The $12 tent served me well in helping affordably re-discover camping and how much I enjoy it. I'm also finding that camping makes it even easier to enjoy other activities; some great campgrounds by trout streams and mountain bike trails! But perhaps my favorite part is cooking over an open fire. I love to cook, and especially to grill. Campfire cooking takes the challenge to a whole new level!

Lest you think the $12 tent is dumpster bound, it's on to its next chapter - a new tent for my niece and nephew to utilize in their adventures. Farewell and bon voyage!

-Sean-

No comments: